“You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have really lived, are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.” – Henry Drummond
“The love of our neighbor is the only door out of the dungeon of self.” – George Macdonald
“While faith makes all things possible, it is love that makes all things easy.”-Evan H. Hopkins
“The supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or more correctly in spite of yourself.” – Victor Hugo
“I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is n more hurt, but only more love.” – Mother Teresa
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to know one not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in a casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable…The only place outside of heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all dangers of love is Hell.” –C.S. Lewis
Lessons I’ve learned about love
- LOVE PEOPLE NOW: You never know what’s going to happen tomorrow – or if you will see tomorrow at all. Love people now.
- LOVE IS VULNERABLE: If you love others, then you will be hurt. Because when you open your arms to another, you make yourself an easy target. Do it anyway. Only the pain of never having loved is worse then the pain of having your heart broken. I once said to someone I loved at 4 o’clock in the morning in the ER, ““To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”
- LOVE IS POWERFUL: Love has the power to change the world. It was love that prompted God to create the world. It was love that caused Him to send Jesus to save it. When you love others, anything is possible.
- LOVE ONLY LAST WITH HARD WORK: No friendship lasts for decades without hard work. No marriage survives half a century without both partners fighting to make it work. No relationship thrives without sweat, tears and toil. If you want a relationship to last you have to give up other things for it.
- LOVE IS UNCONDITIONAL: If there are strings attached, then it isn’t really love. A person needs to be loved the most when they deserve to be loved the least. When you love people You make their problems, your problems. You stick with them to the end.